Friday, October 19, 2012

Obama vs Romney--Do Americans even know who they're voting for?

I'm on record as hating the American public. I love America. I love Americans. But I hate the American public. The American public is lazy and unmotivated. They take for fact what they see in movies or read on social media websites and turn it into a "cause" (see the whole Occupy movement or Kony '12.

After the 2nd presidential debate the most entertaining part of my day--one that included driving through Afghanistan's most urbanized city and watching the Detroit Tigers dominate the New York Yankees was actually reading people's comments about the debate.

Now I don't care if you're a conservative or a liberal. I don't care if you support Obama or Romney. I don't care if your favorite color is blue or red. I do care though about people that choose to complain about the direction of America without casting a vote.

I'm in Afghanistan and I voted already. I didn't just have to go to a nearby school or library either. I had to go to 2 websites and submit multiple forms. I then had to get a ballot in the mail. Then I researched people for every single position that I chose to cast a vote for. Finally I had to fill it out and mail it in so that it would arrive before the deadline.

I did all that while around the world from my local precinct. I also managed to vote for 7 republicans and 6 democrats. You want to know how that happened? I chose who I was going to vote for based on their position on issues and their plans for the future. I did not vote for them because of their party affiliation is symbolized by a donkey or elephant.

Thomas Jefferson wrote in his autobiography that although political parties are necessary for organization, he believed that they would one day be the downfall of the "pure" American democracy. I believe we are watching that happen right now.

I will never understand how people can be straight ticket voters. I will never understand why someone would vote for someone they know nothing about, but because of a "D" or "R" next to their name, they think they have made a smart decision.

Obama is responsible for Blah, blah, blah...Romney killed "X" amount of jobs...Guess what-- those stats people post of facebook are so incredibly selective. You could make anyone look like a genius or an idiot with enough slanted research. How about doing some homework yourself instead of making others do it (poorly) for you.

Wise up America, and stop being lazy. Do your research before you vote. I have no tolerance for people that choose to complain about America's problems if you do not vote, or choose to vote blindly. Stop looking to Facebook to see who your friends are voting for. Your friends do not have all the answers. I'm positive their needs are not exactly the same as yours. And that photo that pokes fun at Obama or Romney...yea, it was probably made by a 40 year old living in his mom's basement...but sure, go ahead and "share" it since you are sure it proves your cause is just.

I love you America, but I hate your public.

End of rant.


Until next time...

Chris

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris:

    I enjoyed your article. You are probably in the top 1/10 of 1% in regards to voter eduaction.

    I hope you are back from Afghanistan by now. No doubt it will be a significant period of adjustment--no way around it. No doubt you will be confounded by the average American's oblivious, dense and vacuous manner of appreciating the astounding things you have experienced there. Try not to hold that against us, me included. Eventually our way of life will seem normal again, or at least recognizable and tolerable. You have been through and have seen a lot.

    Well, as for me, I survived Hurricane Sandy--on a cruise ship!!! Yes, danger can come in the most luxurious, wealthy and passive settings. God held me in the palm of his hand in the mid-Atlantic for 18 hours in the worst of it on October 28-29 just off the East Coast. It was a weird kind of feeling. Yeah, thoughts of death --and especially-- an all too real dream I had where it all wrapped up and life itself came to its end. I know you guys lived with such feelings nearly every day, and nightmares like that all too often. Anyhow, one thing I learned is the one thing I've been most selfish about--my life--is not mine after all. It is God's. There is nothing I can do about it, and besides it's all good!

    I've been able to donate over $200 to WWP from promotional book sales (I still owe $20 more). I've been considering other charities, like the Gary Sinise Foundation...but I suppose I need to sell a lot more books to become "a player".

    Hope to see you sometime when you're in Michigan. Look me up.

    Kevin Hayes

    ReplyDelete