Thursday, July 19, 2012

Job Description...

I must apologize for the lack of updates. I've been very busy the last couple of weeks. The next week will include some time for rest and relaxation for the first time in 4 months. It's going to be much appreciated.  I recently got an email asking what exactly I do. Although I have explained the mission of my unit, I never really discussed my place within the platoon.

I have three jobs within my platoon. First, I am a vehicle commander for my squad's stryker. The stryker is an eight wheel armored infantry carrier. It's the most popular vehicle in the Army right now due to it's mobility and durability. My job is to maintain communication with other vehicles, track movement on the battlefield using electronic mapping and communication systems, and direct my driver where we need to go. My primary weapon is a remote controlled MK19 grenade launcher. I am working two pay grades above my own, but I really feel comfortable in this role and think I am doing a good job so far. Each day on the job I feel more comfortable with what I am doing. Anyone who says the military is not like Call of Duty or those types of video games should see the toys I get to play with on a daily basis!

When I am on the ground, my 2nd job, I am in charge of biometrics. I enroll people in a database that collects iris and fingerprints for referencing with coalition forces across Afghanistan. As an infantryman, I belong on the ground. This is where I feel I have the most direct impact on our mission. I am also the anti-armor person. In addition to my M4 rifle, when I'm on the ground I carry an AT4, an 84mm shoulder fired rocket used against armor and fortified buildings or the smaller M72 LAW (Light Antitank Weapon).

Back at our base, and back home my 3rd job is the platoon armorer. I maintain records of weapons and accessories assigned to 2nd platoon, help fix broken equipment, and make sure everyone has what they need. Here my primary weapon is an ink pen. My favorite pen so far is the standard skilkraft (recylcled), black ink, retractable tip, ball point.

This really is a fun job. Once I get past a lot of the hogwash that goes along with working for the largest department in the federal government...once I am on the ground, this is the most exciting job in the world...sometimes. I equate it to golf...a lot of walking and a lot of thinking, all for 10-15 seconds of really awesome excitement.

Until next time...

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment