Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Day 2 Part 2: "It Doesn't Hurt to Say Hello"

HCAC is located at the convergence of Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany.

1700
Lille, France

Four of these large pylons mark the entrance to the
cemetery. In the background is the countryside that
was the scene of brutal fighting in World War II.
Growing up my mother always told me "It doesn't hurt to say hello." I've always been a very shy person. I tend to get a little uncomfortable meeting new people or reaching outside my comfort zone. To say I was nervous this morning would be an understatement. I made contact with the superintendent of Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery a few weeks ago. I picked his brain with general interest about my upcoming European battlefields trip. He invited me to meet with him. So I showed up this morning to his office expecting a hand shake, a pamphlet and a "nice to meet you." What came next was a whole lot more!

Mr. Bell gave me the thorough ins and outs of everything I asked questions about, and even more. I was curious to learn about the American Battle Monuments Commission and how the ABMC cares for their many overseas monuments and cemeteries. He was very proud to report to me that although they are one of the smallest federal agencies (about 70 personnel stateside and 400 overseas), they are very adept at securing and managing funding. It was refreshing to hear that even with federal shutdowns and budget cuts around every corner, those entrusted with taking care of our fallen comrades overseas are still afforded to resources to get the job done.

I learned the ins and outs of their operation--from some anecdotal information about recent and upcoming renovations, to how the organization manages hundreds of requests from families and other people with an interest in their work, such as myself. An interesting note regarding infrastructure was how they maintain the thousands of marble crosses, keeping them in perfect alignment. It turns out that the crosses are kept perfectly aligned thanks to a sub-structure they are attached to below the surface of the ground. This ensures that movement of the earth cannot mess with their perfect dress right dress alignment.

American Flag at Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery.
I picked his brain about knowledge of the surrounding battlefields. In a way I think he may have been impressed with how much I already knew. I am by no means an expert on military movements of World War II but I think I held my own! He provided \insightful information that will aid me on this trip and in return trips to the region. He provided tons of literature that I will be reading through for quite a while over the next few weeks, including information about my previous unit, 23rd Infantry Regiment who were instrumental to the fight in the region.

I am going to share several stories in this space over the next few weeks, but I'm going to share two here right now.

Too often we are attracted to the stories of famous generals who garner larger than life status--like my hero LTG George Patton. But in this particular case I think it is warranted. BG Frederick W. Castle was an accomplished B-17 pilot in the US Army Air Corps (precursor of the US Air Force). On 24 December 1944 he lead from the front a formation of 2,000 heavy bombers. As the senior officer he would not be expected at the front of the formation.

The Bronze sculpture of the Angel of Peace bestows an olive branch upon the
honored dead. The designer did not live long enough to see it sculpted.
During the flight his aircraft lost an engine. They dropped to a lower altitude to not disrupt the formation, but continued moving forward. His aircraft was attacked by German fighters who took out a second engine. With the pilot and co-pilot killed, BG Castle took command of the aircraft. The only option to save their lives was to drop their load of munitions and return to base. PROBLEM...they were flying over friendly forces so dropping their payload would inflict friendly casualties. BG Castle kept the bomber aloft long enough for the rest of the crew to parachute to safety, thereafter he took the aircraft to the ground and in the process self destructing the sensitive items on board. His selfless service should be an inspiration to all leaders. His rank was not used to increase his odds of safety. Instead he used his rank and experience to save the lives of others. He was posthumously awarded the medal of honor. He is the highest ranking burial at Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery.
Recovery of bodies is difficult. Six could not be separated correctly and therefore
they were buried together. Just one of several stories HCAC has to tell.

The other story that I will share tonight is related to the picture at right. There are 94 "unknowns" buried at Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery. However six of them are recognized on a single cross. When the remains were recovered, the forensic expert at the time could not discern the difference between the remains, other than identifying that there were six separate personnel included. Instead of trying to separate them, they were buried together. It is the only instance that I have run across of this situation. Perhaps I will find more in the future.

Henri-Chapelle was emotional but insightful. In my next installment I will cover my experience at Netherlands American Cemetery, just ten miles up the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment