Thursday, July 26, 2012

Soldiering on in the face of War's challenges...

War is hell.
    -William Tecumseh Sherman


In a job where every day is a new challenge, being a soldier has a surprising amount of routines. There was nothing routine about Wednesday.

For the men of Blackhawk Company's 2nd platoon, July 25 is going to stick in our memories as one of those life changing experiences. As important as it is for us to mourn, it is also important for us to "Charlie Mike", army verbiage for Continue Mission. In doing one, we can better do the other.

Without overstepping the Army's boundaries of operational security, I will just say that during two separate patrols on the morning of July 25, two of our men stepped on separate IED's. Their legs were blown off, and other injuries sustained...They were two of our most beloved soldiers--great leaders and friends of everyone. Although they survived, it has left a hole in our lines, and an even larger hole in our hearts.

The Mourning...

The loss of a friend whether to injury or death is always traumatic for soldiers. Unfortunately it is an all too common reality in the Infantry life. Here in Afghanistan we are living about 16 men to a tent. Although we often get on each others nerves, the tight living quarters require us to build close bonds. We have all been working together to prepare for this war for over a year. In that time we have become as close as brothers to each other, and in some ways more.

Mourning is a natural process for humans. We cannot emotionally handle adversities without the ability to release the emotional stress that it creates. Crying, talking, and personal reflection are perfectly normal, perfectly natural reactions for this process.

In the military that process becomes blurred. After the first incident yesterday everyone needed the opportunity to mourn. We never had that chance. The mission was not complete. There was work to be done. When the 2nd blast occurred and we were thrust right back into the exact same situation, it was like reliving a real life nightmare from just an hour earlier...a nightmare from which we had not yet awakened. It captured every terrible feeling in our bodies and gave them another jolt of horror.

The Comfort...

No human can emotionally stand the sight of their loved ones injured to the extent that we experienced. We witnessed our brothers literally torn apart, injured in the most horrible fashion imaginable. The scene will never leave my mind, or those that were present. The sights and sounds will remain a part of my Afghanistan memories forever. The time, the place. Everything is frozen forever.

However there is one single thought that keeps me strong, and feeling proud...

The shock of a massive explosion rattled our bones, but within seconds the remainder of our guys were back on their feet, attending to the injured. With both legs severed, the bodies of the injured could have bled out within a matter of minutes. Thanks to our incredible combat medics, and the combat life saver training of my fellow infantry soldiers, we were able to save our brothers from the strangle of death.

It's what we do. Back in Washington, while others type on computers or make phone calls we practice carrying each other. We practice applying tourniquets and other life saving medical procedures. We run hills and crawl through mud, because sometimes that is what it takes to save a life. All of that training that frustrates us at home came to two climactic moments in Southern Afghanistan on Wednesday. Every bit of that training was tested, and we passed with flying colors.

I have shed many tears in the last 24 hours. It's been an emotional mountain that is going to take a long time to conquer. However war does not stop. I have to train harder, get stronger, and make sure that I am prepared so just in case this happens again I am ready to do my part to be the solution.

As much as yesterday stings, I am doing my best to remain strong. I am more confident than ever that 2nd platoon is prepared for any challenge we face. My mother always told me that my optimism is my best quality. Given the situation at hand, I will rely on that more than ever to help get myself and my battle buddies though this difficult time.


Finally, if you would take just a moment to consider making a small donation to the Wounded Warrior Project, it would go a long way to helping  so many wonderful men and women.

Soldiering on, until next time...

Chris

5 comments:

  1. Chris--I heard about your blog from "Old Judge" Thomas Brennan. I support WWP. My prayers are with you and your two friends. My son Matthew (10th Mountain, ret.)lost his leg up to an IED in Kunduz two years ago. Spent a lot of time at the old Walter Reed in DC. I dedicated my book called "Don't Vote For Me" to him. Look it up on Amazon. Let me know where to send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, I really appreciate your comment and words of support. I am very proud of both the men and women I am serving with, and those that served before us.

    I can be reached at christophernmonroe@gmail.com for a mailing address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Chris- I emailed you per above and will wait for your reply for your address over there. By the way, I'm sure you heard Jordyn Weiber from Dewitt won the gold with her teammates in women's gymnastics yesterday. What is the Sparty 50 yard line wedding story? Go Green!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, your blog over all is wonderful to read. However this particular post about the day that is forever engraved into your memory, I must say I share that day with you all too close. My name is Margaret Smith and I am Jason's sister-in-law. Your quick actions, endless courage, brotherly bond and optimism saved his life! We are forever grateful for your sacrifices and bond with our soldier!!! I know this has been quit a rough month for your team, please know that we send an abundance of prayers and positive energy to you all. Words honestly cannot possibly be enough. Please be sure to share my thanks to the team, I know nothing is done alone! God bless you all!!!

    ReplyDelete