Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy 4th of July..."Independence" Day

I promise I will not rant for 3,000 words about how July 4 is a pointless holiday. I will limit it to just a couple paragraphs, before moving on to my thoughts on independence.

Fact: On July 2, 1776 the Lee Resolution was passed by the Continental Congress. It declared:

"Resolved, that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved."

It was a resolution that was debated for nearly a month, before it finally passed. During that time a committee was hard at work writing the Declaration of Independence. When the Declaration was finally passed on July 4, it was simply just a piece of paper working like an index to the Lee Resolution. John Adams is often misquoted about the events of this time. He is often quoted as saying the following about July 4, but it was really July 2...

John Adams wrote his wife Abigail on July 3 about the resolution of independence:
The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.

According to accounts from the time, from those who were there, the Declaration of Independence was only signed by 1 person on July 4 (John Hancock). By all accounts most of the 55 men signed the document on August 2, while others signed it months later...My point is that if our independence is such an important date to celebrate, we should at least understand what it is we are celebrating.

So I choose to celebrate "Independence Day" on July 2, July 4, and August 2.


MY THOUGHTS ON INDEPENDENCE

I get a handful of emails each week from people thanking me for my service to our country. They thank me for protecting our freedom. Once in a while the word "independence" is thrown in there. This word always strikes me strongly. Independence, to me, encapsulates not just the process by which we became free from the British, but the ever continuing fight to maintain it. We have battled for independence from invasion in 1812, treason in the civil war, and helped our allies fight for their independence in several other wars.

In the early 1960's President Kennedy's Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France. The French President, Charles DeGaulle decided to pull his nation out of NATO. DeGaulle said he wanted all US Military out of France as soon as possible. Rusk responded, "Does that include those who are buried here?" DeGaulle, in a moment of embarrassment and humility apologized for his quick judgement.

Since the late 1800's the United States has maintained involvement in foreign countries with a military presence. We are not there to occupy. We are not there to conquer. We are there to help those who have less. We are there to help some of them fight for their own independence.

I was not around 236 years ago to fight for America's independence, but I am proud to help the country of Afghanistan fight for theirs today. Much as the United States took several years to establish themselves as a stable and reliable country after the summer of 1776, the same is true here in Afghanistan. After all, without the French, it is quite possible that there would have been no independence for the American colonies.

When I'm old and gray I hope to look back to my experience here in Afghanistan and say "I helped fight for their independence." In the meantime I will proudly wear the Stars and Stripes on my shoulder, with an eye on where we come from, to help me see where we are going.

Happy Independence Day, whenever or wherever you celebrate it!

Until next time...

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment